DSc in Philology, Professor, Head of Scientific Staff, A. M. Gorky Institute of World Literature of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia
Education and training, internships:
In 1974, completed the Philological Faculty of Lomonosov Moscow State University.
The issue of genesis and development of the travel genre in Russian literature (1979)
Travel genre in Russian literature and the creative quest of Nikolai Gogol (1997)
Scientific and organisational activities:
Member of the editorial board of the Russian Archive almanac.
Member of the editorial board of the Academic Complete Works and Letters of Nikolai Gogol in 23 volumes.
Member of the editorial board of the scientific journal “Two Centuries of the Russian Classics” of the IWL RAS.
Member of the editorial board of the journal “Word and Image” at Moscow Spiritual Academy.
Member of the expert committee of the Great Patriarchal Biblical Prize named after Saints Cyril and Methodius equal-to-the-apostles.
Expert of the Russian Science Foundation.
1985 – Prize “For the best first book”.
1999 – Pushkin Jubilee Gold Medal “For contribution to the development, preservation and augmentation of the traditions of Russian culture”.
1999 – Pushkin Anniversary medal of Helwan University (Cairo).
2000 – The Badge of Honour of the South Korean Department of Russian Language & Literature (Seoul).
2012 – Commemorative medal “200 years since the birth of Ivan Goncharov”.
Scientific publications – more than 200 publications and 3 monographs
Selected scientific publications:
- Russian literature of travel in a global historical and cultural context. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2017. 607 p. (In Russ.)
- Discovering the world, or Travelling and wanderers. Moscow, Contemporary Publ., 1987, 286 p. (In Russ.)
- Penates. Lessons of Russian classical literature. Moscow, Molodaya Gvardiya (Young Guard) Publ., 1985. 110 p. (In Russ.)
Documentary and Fiction Literature in Russia of the 18–19 Century. Ex. ed. by V.M. Guminsky. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2022. 576 p. https://doi.org/10.22455/978-5-9208-0680-2 (In Russ.)
- “Documentary and Fiction in the Literature of Travel.” Documentary and Fiction Literature in Russia of the 18–19 Century. Ex. ed. V.M. Guminsky. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2022, pp. 14–53. https://doi.org/10.22455/978-5-9208-0680-2-14-53 (In Russ.)
- “Westernizers and Slavophiles Reflected in Russian Travels.” Literaturovedcheskii zhurnal, no. 1(55), 2022, pp. 9–31. DOI: 10.31249/litzhur/2022.55.01 (In Russ.)
- Dying of art: Alexander Pushkin and Nikolai Gogol. To Valentin Semyonovich Nepomnyashchiy. Collected scientific works, eds. M. I. Shcherbakova. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2020, pp. 207–256. (In Russ.)
- Gogol' and Russian intelligentsia (on issue definition). Bulletin of Slavic Cultures, vol. 53, 2019, pp. 124–134. (In Russ.)
- Medieval Europe in the notes of Russian travelers. In At roots and sources: on international and interdisciplinary paths. Jubilee collection in honour of Aleksandr Nazarenko. Moscow, Insitute of Russian History RAS Publ., 2019, pp. 109–146. (In Russ.)
- On the issue of space organization of Gogol's “The Old World Landowners”. In East-West: the space of local text in literature and folklore. Collection of research articles for the 70th anniversary of Professor Arkadiy Gol’denberg. Volgograd, Scientific publishing house “Alternation” of Volgograd State Sociopedagogical University Publ., 2019, pp. 73–78. (In Russ.)
- To the problem of the original development of Russian literature: Nikolai Gogol and others. In Literature and philosophy: from romanticism to the 20th century. To the 150th anniversary of Vladimir Odoyevsky's death. Moscow, Aquarius publishing house Publ., 2019, pp. 71–80. (In Russ.)
- Alexander Pushkin: death and glory. In Enlightener and romanticist. In memoriam Aleksandr Smirnov, Professor at Moscow State University (1941–2014). Moscow – Saint Petersburg, Nestor-History Publ., 2019, pp. 154–175. (In Russ.)
- Nikolai Gogol: exploring space (Italy and Russia). In XVII Gogol Reading. Nikolai Gogol’s creative work in the context of European cultures. A view from Rome. Collection of scientific articles on the materials of the international conference, Rome (Italy), eds. Vera Vikulova. Moscow-Novosibirsk, 2018, pp. 98–109. (In Russ.)
- Gogol's space and the tradition of Old Rus’. In Proceedings of the 14th International Scientific Conference “Icon in Russian Literature and Culture”. House of Russia Abroad. 25–27 January 2018. The composing editor Doctor in Philology, Prof. Valerij Lepahin (Szeged, Hungary). Moscow, 2018, pp. 267–279. (In Russ.)
- Polemical view of Western European civilisation in the travel literature of the era of Catherine II of Russia. In Essays on the history of the Russian 18th-century journalism. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2017, pp. 818–865. (In Russ.)
- “Letters of a Russian traveler” in the context of Russian travel literature. Literary journal, no. 40, 2017, pp. 74–145. (In Russ.)
- The Homeric in Gogol’s: on the issue of history mythologization in “Dead Soul”. Russian Literature, no. 2, 2016, pp. 37–40. (In Russ.)
- Own and alien in Russian travels (to the disputes of the Westernisers and Slavophiles). In The Church in Russian History. Collection 11. To the 70th anniversary of Nikolay Lisovoy. Moscow, Insitute of Russian History RAS Publ., 2016, pp. 176–196. (In Russ.)
- Towards the mythologisation of history. Nikolai Gogol and certain facts and attitudes at the time of Russia's victory over Napoleon in 1812'. In Russian victory of 1812 and world literature. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2013, pp. 141–194. (In Russ.)
- Russian pilgrims to the Holy Land in the 12th – 20th centuries (literary genre and sacred space). In Russian Palestine. Russia in the Holy Land. Saint Petersburg, Saint Petersburg State University Publ., 2010, pp. 157–182. (In Russ.)
Professor at the Department of Art Theory and History in Surikov Moscow State Academic Art Institute